At ﬁrst, many people don’t feel comfortable putting a nozzle into their nostril. Yet when it comes to using a nasal spray, doctors say getting comfortable is essential in order to treat your allergies regularly—and effectively.1, 2
Taking the time to get comfortable with using your nasal spray is worth it. One study shows that people who use their spray regularly and correctly are better off during pollen season?3 And the good news is that research also shows that when you practice consistently, in time a new behavior can become a routine part of your life.4
The ﬁrst step is recognizing what gets in the way of your comfort. Try these tips that address
some common discomforts—to help make using a nasal spray more comfortable for you.
Practice these steps and keep it up for a while, and soon you and your nose will be on the way to an easier allergy season.
- Rabago, D, Zgierska, A Saline nasal spray for upper respiratory conditions. American Family Physician [Serial online]. 2009;10: 1117-1119. Available at https://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/1115/p1117.html. Accessed December 2014
- Anolik, R, Fluticasone furoate nasal spray: Proﬁle of an enhanced-affinity corticosteroid it treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis. Joumal of Asthma and Allergy [Serial online]. 2010;3: 87-99. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047912)/ Accessed Decernber 2014
- Gani, F., Pozzi, E., Crivellaro, M. A., Senna, G., Landi, M., Lombardi, C., Canonica, G. W. and Passalacqua, G. (2001), The role of patient training in the management of seasonal rhinitis and asthma: clinical inplications. Allergy [Serial online]. 2001; 56: 65-68. Available at https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1398-9995.2001.00794.x/full. Accessed December 2014
- Lally P, van Jaarsveld CHM, Potts HWW, Wardle J. How are habits formed: modelling habit formation in the real world. Eur J Soc Psychol. 2010;40:998-1009. doi: 10.1 002/ejsp.674. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ejsp.674/abstract Accessed December 17, 2014.
- deShazo RD., Kemp 8,. Patient information: Allergic rhinitis (seasonal allergies) (Beyond the Basics). Adapted with pemiiseion from; Diseases of the Sinuses: Diagnosis and Management. Kennedy DW, Bolger WE, Zinreich SJ (Eds), BC Decker, Hamilton, Ontario 2001. Copyright© Kennedy DW, Zinreich SJ. Available at https://www.uptodate.com/contents/allergic-rhinitis-seasonal-allergies-beyond-the-basics? Accessed December 2014